The main things you need to know as you start playing are:
1. You are hunted by most of the world.
2. You have joined, or will join, the Valarians to fight back, get training and get support.
3. Contest rolls are always done by rolling 2d6 and adding appropriate bonuses.
4. Contest rolls of an unmodified 10, 11, or 12 Explode. Roll 2d6 and add it to your total.
5. Contest rolls of an unmodified “2” always fail. How they fail is left in the tender hands of your GM.
6. You can do up to ten “things” in a combat round, if you have the cards to do them. You get one Action, One Movement plus enough Independents to get to ten things. You get the Action and Movement even if you have no cards to play. Running out of cards means you are very tired and need to rest.
7. GM’s will give you bonuses to your rolls, and the role-playing points you earn, for entertaining them.
8. Embrace the Chaos. Nothing is guaranteed to work the same all the time.
9. Your GM is the ultimate authority at the table, you can ask questions, but arguing is bad.
10. You can always try anything in Dragon Storm. You do not need a card to try something. You need a card to get a bonus to the roll.